06 February 2007

Insight

I had this great insight into my writing woes today that was a wonderful example of why belonging to a writers group is a good idea.

I have trouble writing long. I get to about 15 or 20K and it all starts to fall apart. I have always thought it a planning problem, that I need to get organised, get a proper plotting process going (I still think that would help). But the wonderful Anna Campbell suggested it might be a commitment and /or fear problem.

How surprising! Me? Fear? Me? Lack of commitment?

Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

Then on the list was a discussion on the need to work through those times when you lose faith with what you're doing and the temptation to start a new exciting story rears it's ugly head. Several people talked of all those unfinished 15k stories under their beds.

I know, I know, it's been said thousands of times before, but this is where writing reams of crap is essential. Where giving yourself permission to write with nowhere in mind is important. Just keep plugging away. How many times do I have to read that until I believe it at a cellular level?

Many more I'm sure.

But at least I'll have my writing mates to remind me.

3 Comments:

At 6 February 2007 at 8:42 pm , Blogger Anna Campbell said...

It's great to be able to run with your wolf pack, isn't it, Keziah? There are things that really only another writer can understand. So glad my comments this morning helped. Actually, it ended up leading to an enormously interesting discussion, didn't it? Hang in there!!!

 
At 6 February 2007 at 9:49 pm , Blogger Keziah Hill said...

Thanks Anna! Can't wait till your book comes out! Do you have a date in April?

 
At 6 February 2007 at 10:39 pm , Blogger Anna Campbell said...

Do you mean someone tall, dark and handsome? I wish. Oh, sigh, you mean the book! Publishers Weekly said the 27th March. Amazon US has got 1st April. I can live with a four-day difference. Actually, that's not sigh-worthy at all, is it? It's pretty *&^%$$ exciting really! Whoo-hoo!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home