20 January 2007

On being a spinster

There are some days you should never try to do anything requiring thought. Particularly anything involving mechanics. Particularly when it's 32 degrees centigrade. You should just eat ice cream and drink beer in front of the television with the tennis on. Those muscled, fleet footed boys are great to watch in the heat, especially when running around is the last thing on your mind.

But I succumbed to guilt. I'm a gardener, but my garden has been neglected lately and I've always resisted getting a lawn mower. I usually pay someone to mow. In a sudden rush of blood to the head, I went and bought one, thinking it was false economy to fork out fifty bucks a pop for a mow every three weeks or so in summer.

So I bought it home, assembled everything and read the instructions. I dressed sensibly in tracksuit pants, Blundstones (who've just announced they're closing down their Tasmanian factory and moving off shore, the rotters. Boycott Blundstones!) and waited to the cool of the day.

You know what's coming don't you?

I poured oil into the fuel tank.

Sigh. There are days when having a husband looks like a good deal. Not for the sex, not for the intimacy (although that would be fine too), just for the lawn mowing.

Generally, I like being a spinster. As writer, I see myself as a spinner of tales, a crone, a wild woman so I don't mind the term. And I like living alone. But on days like these, I'd just want someone to mow the lawn.

3 Comments:

At 20 January 2007 at 9:26 pm , Blogger Remittance Girl said...

I'll mow your lawn Baby!

Hugs,

rg

p.s. I read instructions too.

 
At 20 January 2007 at 9:56 pm , Blogger M.J. said...

Once you find him, send him to my place to tackle mine lol. I've got a hand mower for my tiny lawn but the grass has gotten a bit wild for that!

 
At 23 January 2007 at 11:17 pm , Blogger Denise Rossetti said...

That's why boy children are so useful - for mowing! Such a shame mine moved out. Wonder why? LOL

Denise R.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home