10 April 2007

Claiming the Courtesan

I had a pretty good day today. I had an extended Easter break, wrote 1,300 words, had a massage and sat in the sun to read Claiming the Courtesan. Anna Campbell is a fellow Romance Writers' of Australia member and this is her first published book.

CtC has had a controversial release in Romancelanida with the claim that Avon has returned to the bad old days of forced seduction and bodice rippers. There's no doubt that a book where a hero rapes the heroine is bound to be controversial, particularly when this poses no irretrievable barrier for the heroine to realize her love for the hero.

You can read a run down of the plot here. I'm no reviewer so I'm only going to say I enjoyed CtC, and thought the plot and the dynamics held together well. There is a moral context to Kylemore's behavior which makes it clear he is wrong. Devastatingly wrong. And Soraya/Verity's grief about her loss of independence pulls no punches. She might love him, but she wants to be free. Kylemore's eventual redemption was plausible to me, and I loved the dramatic ending. There's a wonderful lushness to the writing as well.

All in all a most satisfying day. Pity it's work again tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 13 April 2007 at 9:02 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, this sounds like a great book. I will have to check it out. Love the cover as well. Happy writing to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home