01 May 2006

Frustration

There's nothing worse than getting some way into a novel and finding the wretched thing is faulty and a great whole chunk is missing. I was on page 84 of Laura Lippmann's By a Spider's Thread, enjoying it too, when it leapt to page 189. A desperate riffle through the rest of the book, hoping it was just out of order, revealed many pages missing. Bad enough when it's any book, but when it's a crime novel it's infuriating. Made worse by the fact I'd bought it at Better Read Than Dead, a great bookshop in Newtown, but unfortunately, an hour and half from where I live.

Luckily they have a reciprocal arrangement with Megalong Books, another great bookshop and local to me. So I could return it but they didn't have any in stock so I could only get my money back. Or in this case buy another book which was Safety by Tegan Bennett Daylight, a local writer.

But it's so frustrating! This is when ebooks come in handy because I can download it from Fictionwise. Now I have a PDA I don't have to be stuck to a computer to read it. Sigh of relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home