24 November 2005

A least it's not the weather

One of the things about keeping a blog is that I have to make entries. I've been trying. Really I have. I wrack my brain trying to think of interesting and witty things to say, but the reality is I'm struggling with a novella I'm writing and appalled at how this has taken over my life. Well, not really, I'm pleased that I'm engrossed in it, even if I stare out the window and try and work out where it's going. But it does mean I now live in squalor. No procrastination house work for me! I was inspired to clean the bathroom because friends were coming over, so I should thank them from saving me from some terrible disease I thought I'd get if I didn't clean it soon. Now I need a similar motivation to vacuum and clean out the fridge.

A blog on housework. The interest quota in my life has hit an all time low. At least I didn't open this blog with the weather. I've taken Elmore Leonard's 10 "rules" to heart.
  1. Never open a book with weather.
  2. Avoid prologues.
  3. Never use a verb other than ''said'' to carry dialogue.
  4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb ''said'' . . .
  5. Keep your exclamation points under control.
  6. Never use the words ''suddenly'' or ''all hell broke loose.''
  7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
  8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
  9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
  10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.

I'm off to Melbourne this weekend to see people and buy jewelry. I always buy jewelry when I go to Melbourne. Not sure why, other than there's a great shop with branches in Cliffton Hill and Carlton called Cellini's where I always buy earrings. It's a good idea to go to Acland Street after that and eat pastries to recover. I'll take a copy of my work in progress and seek inspiration in St Kilda. Or maybe Brunswick Street. There's a great cafe there called Babka's. That's the other thing I do in Melbourne, eat a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home